Sunday, January 2, 2011

Before and After

This is our fireplace before the remodel. This was a pic taken a few years ago. It's the only pic I could find, showing the fire place as a whole. I have always wanted shelves on each side. So during Q's two week break he decided to tackle this project with the help of his brother and Dad.

 1st day. They had to build a fake wall. He also had to chisel out the crown molding and remove the mantel which was one big piece of slate.


2nd day. We put bead board up and did more electrical.

3rd day. We bought 4 - 42 inch cabinets and put those on the bottom to use for our DVD, Wii, and game storage. We made the shelving out of MDF board. 


4th day. The dry wall is hung between the shelves. We also used dry wall to frame in the fireplace. The mantel is made out of 2x4's and MDF board. 


Finished product!! We are so pleased with how it turned out. We removed the face plate and spray painted the inside of the fire place black. It isn't in working order, so now it serves as great storage for Waylon's toys.I love that all of our books are in one spot. The kids have been asking me to read to them more. 

25 comments:

Unknown said...

LOOKS AMAZING, love the after. ENJOY! Jen

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

That is a wonderful transformation. Great job!
Have a great day.
Kim

AnnaBanana said...

I love it!!! You are so lucky to have some handy and willing men around. I had shelves @ my house in Kzoo and I am severely missing them! Now I look at your transformation and I think I want to attempt to copy it. Although I'm not sure how it would work with vaulted ceilings!?

The Dragonfly said...

It looks so fabulous Kasey! You guys took an average fireplace and really made it the showstopper! I know you're going to love every last minute spent working on this project! Way to go.

Robyn said...

It looks amazing! I need to find a place in my house to copy it...

Lindsey said...

Looks so great Kasey. It really updates the room.

Tam. said...

I love it! It looks great, kasey! Beautiful work :)

Jen said...

That is utterly beautiful. So impressive!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

He & Me + 3 said...

Nice job. That looks awesome. I would totally love that done at my house.

CK said...

Oh my gosh! This looks SOOOOOOOO good!!!
I remember that old pic above your fire place used to be your header, haha!

The Kelly Variety said...

I love it, great work! I like your name on the shelf.

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Kasey, your fireplace is gorgeous! What a huge difference. I'm so glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower!

Anonymous said...

It looks great!

Alisa said...

I just stumbled across your blog about two seconds ago and have already emailed this post to my husband. We have a gigantinormous wall with the fireplace right smack in the middle and virtually no storage. We were wanting to do something like this but had no idea how to start. So basically my long post in summary: Looks beautiful and I love the idea!

Theresa said...

I love it! you guys did an awesome job!

Theresa
www.theresascomfortsofhome.com

Dan and Holly said...

Wow Kase, your are a regular celebrity! I was just checking out remodelaholic when I looked at the picture and thought "hmm that looks like Liza, wait that looks like Kasey-Oh my! It is!!!" I LOVE the new look! You guys did an amazing job!! Congrats!

Dan and Holly said...

Wow Kase, you are a regular celebrity! I was just browsing on Remodelaholic and looked at the first pic and thought "hmmm that girl looks like Liza, that one looks like Kasey, Wait! OH My it is!!" Your new living room looks amazing!! Nice work!!

Laura Waltz said...

I have been meaning to comment on this post ever since you did it. I love how this turned out for you guys. I've always loved that look in other people's homes (bookcases/storage with a fireplace in between). I really like how you painted some of the fireplace too. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

Where did you purchase the lower unfinished cabinets from?

Kasey said...

I think we purchased the cabinets at Menards or Home Depot.

Anonymous said...

love this project. about how much in materials did it cost?

Anonymous said...

I would like to build in bookcases and mount TV above the fireplace. Could you provide the measurements of the height of the hearth and the height of the mantel from the floor. Are you happy with the TV above the fireplace? Any issues when you are watching TV?

Thanks
Very nice reno

Shana said...

Great job! I'm curious why you built a fake wall. Was it to hide the wiring? I'm about to do a similar project and am wondering if theres something I'm missing. Thanks.

Kasey said...

We built the fake wall to even everything out so it was all square.

Kasey said...

Home depot