Saturday, July 24, 2010

It's Confirmed!

Waylon saw the E.N.T. on Friday, to get a conformation on a condition the pediatrician thought he might have. Since birth he has always been a loud breather. It sounds like he constantly has mucus in the back of his throat. It's more prominent when he is excited or sometimes sleeps.
They had to stick a scope down his nose to see his throat. I left the room. Daddy stayed in the room with him for support while the Doc, and nurse pinned him down for the 30 second procedure. I heard him cry in the waiting room and had to leave the office and wait outside. I hate the feeling of being helpless. I knew the procedure had to be done, and I knew he was in good hands. As soon as it was done, they came and got me. I held him in my arms, and in one minute he was fast asleep. I think it was harder on me than him! Thankfully, he'll have no memory of it.

Waylon has a condition called Laryngomalacia. You can click on the link and it will give you the information about it. Basically, he'll be noisy up until 18-24 months! He will have check ups every 3 months to make sure the cartilage in his larynx is hardening.

10 comments:

The Kelly Variety said...

That's why we have Dads!
After reading about it, obviously it sounds worse than actually is. I bet it was a relief to find out what it was and the fact that they knew! Others have done this and it sounds pretty common.
Prayers are headed your way.

Mike Laughead said...

Quentin is awesome for enduring the hard stuff.
Penelope had strider when she was younger as well, though I don't think it was caused by the same thing. They do grow out of it though.

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Oh poor little thing. Thank goodness he'll grow out of it, and now you have some answers. It's so hard to watch them go through that, though.

Clenece said...

I remember talking about that when I was there! Glad to hear it is something that he will out grow and is nothing too serious!!

Gen said...

wow...my fourth daughter had tracheomalacia...a soft trachea! she's four now, and completely outgrown it...never known anyone else with a malacia! welcome to the club hon...stay strong!

He & Me + 3 said...

Awww, sweet boy. That is good that they think he will outgrow it.

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy! I am glad that it's something he will outgrow!

val m said...

It is so hard to take them to the dr. and have them do necessary procedures that you know hurt them!! It makes your heart break!!! He is a cutie and I am sure there is a lot of relief in knowing what is going on!

The Goff Family said...

Great Picture!!! What a cutie! Can't wait to see you and catch up.

Julia said...

God Bless you and your family! Feeling helpless with our little ones is so hard.