Monday, July 27, 2009

To Sell or Rent??



As most of your know we have a rental home. Our 1st home. We had it on the market for over a year and never sold. So, we tried our hand at renting. We have been successful for over 2 years now. Our current renters of 2 years, have decided to pack up and return to the South to be with their family. We are sad to see them go. They were excellent renters, always paid on time, and were honest and good. Now we have to find replacements! We have until September 1st. We have a for Rent sign up and have hand a handful of calls, only to tell us we're asking too much. :(

Here is our dilemma:

SELL:
We could try and sell it but then we would have to pay higher taxes and come up with an extra house payment ourselves, and we wouldn't know how long it would be on the market. Also, I don't think we could sell it for what we owe on it. ( compared to other houses that size on the market now)


Rent:
We could rent it again, With that we run the risk of the renters trashing the place, not paying rent on time, etc. I'm praying for good renters to find our home. I'm confident that we'll find somebody considering we already get 5-6 calls a day and we have 4 weeks left. The bad part of it is, is that the monthly rate that we are asking is more than what people who have called are willing to pay. We've lowered the price to where we are paying out of our pocket just to make the monthly payment. We can't go any lower.

*Do any of my readers have rental property? What would you suggest? Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!! Please keep us in your prayers. Thanks.

4 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

I have no help for you. We would love to move but couldn't get what we need for our house...we have considered renting too, but are afraid. It is a tough decision. Sorry that your good renters are leaving...that is a bummer.

The Dragonfly said...

This is a dilemma! The market is so questionable right now that selling seems risky. But you take a risk also trying to find good renters.

I'm just going to pray real hard for you that the ideal renters come along . . . or that someone magially appears and says, "We'd actually like to buy it if you'd consider it."

Sonja said...

Good luck Kasey! I don't know much about renting because I haven't experienced it.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are losing your good renters! I really don't know what would be best. Maybe continue renting it out until the housing market gets better...??