Monday, January 19, 2009

Flooding of the Basement Part 2




Remember when our basement flooded the first time? I thought this was the last and only time it would flood. I was wrong.



Last week we had below zero temps. Lots of icicles on our roof. The cold temperatures caused a pipe to break in our basement. We had flooding again!!!


This happened Thursday afternoon. I had the kids, and the husband was at work. I'm in the middle of changing a poopy diaper and all of the sudden I heard a huge explosion sound. Oh no. I knew what had happened. Earlier in the morning we woke up and our faucet in our master bath was not working. The husband went to Home Depot and purchased heat tape and a few other things to help fix the frozen pipes. He thought he had time. Wrong!!!
So, I go downstairs and water is bursting out of this 1/2 inch copper pipe. All down the walls and all over the treadmill, guitars, dresser, bed, and photo albums. I didn't know where the main shut off for the water was, I call my in laws and they rush over. I call my Dad and he says, turn off the pump on the circuit breaker. I do that, it's still flying everywhere. Mean time, I'm trying to get as many buckets and towels down there to stop the water from spreading all the while trying not to get to close the hot water. (Yes it was the hot water line that broke!!) I would say it was a full out shower of water for about 10 minutes before my Father in law came over and shut the water off. I'm so grateful for them. I'm glad they live close. Luckily this time, the water was on the half of the basement that has the laundry room and some other things. Not the kid's playroom, or family room!!!
Of course the one day I need to get a hold of my husband, his phone wasn't working. This line has been disconnected!!!! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Are you flipping kidding me?????
My in laws sucked up all the water with the wet vacs, and wipped things down while I kept the kids out of there and tried to calm down my nerves. There was still a slow leak in the pipe so we hooked up the vacum hose to the pipe that was busted and let it drain into the base of the wet/dry vac. The next day we had a friend of a friend come over and fix it for a 1/4 of what it would have cost us to have the plumber come over. Thank you Lord for connections!!!!

Disaster fixed. Dry basement lives again!!!

11 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Okay you sure are making me thankful I'm in Florida right now lol. Ugh! I can't even imagine. I think I would rather face a hurricane than frozen, bursting pipes! I'm glad the mess is under control. And I can relate to the one time you REALLY need to get in touch with the husband the phone isn't working. It's happened to me as well.
Blessings,
Kim

Vanessa said...

ICICLES!!! WOW!! They are kinda pretty though......glad you made it through that one! I bet you were freaking out!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMGosh! So glad that the damage was minimal. I would have been freaking out too!

Karol said...

Kasey,

I am sorry to read about your catastrophe! I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. Except it was the main water line coming into the downstairs bathroom. It broke off at the wall (so I coudldn't shut it off wit the little valve thing). Long story, but I freaked out and cried and it flooded several rooms downstairs. I survived, but it did a number on my nerves. I now know where the main shut off valve to the house is. I am ready if there is a next time!

I hope everything is nice and dry for you now and you have a great week!

Karol :0)

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh! That must have sucked, but I'm glad the vacumes did!

Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Anyway...I can't believe this is the second time it's happened to you too!

Anne said...

Bless your heart. And thank God for family that lives close, right?

Peggy said...

At least it stayed on the less expensive side of your basement! :o) Thank goodness for family!

He & Me + 3 said...

I didn't remember where you lived and I thought...that sure sounds like our weather. Sure enough, I checked your profile and you are in the same state as us. About 3 hours away. Sorry to hear about the flooding...that is no fun. Our basement leaks all the time from the walls...not even the waterproofing helped. I hate water damage.
Glad it is fixed now.

The Nester said...

Hey girl--Love the name of your blog and this post was a great example huh? Thanks so much for your sweet words today at Nesting Place!

The Dragonfly said...

That just sucks big chickens (family saying) Kasey! Glad to hear you've fixed it up. And I'm sure you've now learned where the water shut-off is! Aaack!

Frugal Finds said...

UGH!!! Sorry to hear of your pipe!!