Wednesday, January 5, 2011
CAPTURE
I think this word, CAPTURE will follow me from this moment on for 2011.
I want to capture moments in my life. Moments of silence, laughter, joy, peace, being content, happiness, reflection, success, silliness, tender mercies, humility, prayer, learning, sharing, forgiveness, and moments of love.
The last 24 hours, however, I have no desire to capture them.
My husband I got into a stupid argument over a treadmill I wanted to buy. Our current treadmill, isn't working. He is determined to fix it. (To credit him, I don't think there has been anything he couldn't fix.) But I am impatient, I always have been. I want results now. I'm motivated to exercise. We have the money to buy a new one, but our kitchen is in DESPERATE need of attention he claims. He's right, as much as I hate to admit that, he is.
Let's hope he can fix it.
Last night, as I was shoveling the driveway, the rest of the family was inside. After I finished shoveling, I walked to the living room window, and saw three of them in the living room, but no Waylon. I asked Q, "where's Waylon?" He got up and walked to the kitchen. I went to the garage put away the shovel and entered the house through the kitchen.
We found Waylon. He had gotten into the kitchen cupboard where the dishwasher gel packs were. He put one in his mouth. There was powder detergent on the floor, and puddles of spit up. I instantly freak out. Q picks him up, only to have Waylon vomit everywhere on the kitchen floor, on himself, and on Q. I frantically find the phone, call poison control, and she asks all sorts of questions and tells us what to do.
Since he has already vomited, she said it was a very good sign that majority of the detergent/soap is out of his system now. He wasn't out of Q's sight for more than 4 minutes. Where was the rubber band that was around the knobs to the cupboards? Q thought Waylon was playing with the pots and pans.
Poison Control told us to give him a bath to get any detergent residue off of his body. We had to watch for blisters forming in and outside of his mouth, difficult swallowing, or dwelling uncontrollably. He had none.
Thank you Jesus! He is a tough cookie. I'm so thankful he was and will be okay from this. It could have been a lot worse.
Not our greatest parenting moment. I reacted toward Q how I said I wouldn't. I lashed out at him, saying he was being irresponsible. I'm so upset with myself for saying that. I was to be at fault just as much as he was. I should have made sure the rubber band was on the knobs before going outside.
It broke my heart when I saw Q afterwords, embrace Waylon and telling him he was sorry that Daddy didn't find him sooner.
I have learned a lot in the last 24 hours.
Here is to capturing the positive in 2011!!!
The treadmill argument was purely ridiculous in comparison to the big scheme in life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
This was a tough story to read Kasey. I'm sure it was also a tough story to tell since you were admitting to things that we can all work on - fault finding, pointless arguing, speaking in the heat of the moment. Thank you for sharing since I needed to hear these things today!
Oh wow Kase. I am glad Waylon is okay. Don't beat yourself up...accidents happen.
Here's to making you feel better...when Adah and Madelyn were 20 months and 8 months old, Erik and I were watching something on TV, noticed we hadn't heard them for a few minutes, so went looking for them. We found them in our bathroom eating Advil! There were a whole bunch of white pills on the floor - meaning they had sucked the pink coating off. In the end, they were totally fine. But how did they get into that cupboard? And how in the world did they get that crazy difficult cap off the bottle?
These things happen, we give lots of gratitude our precious ones are ok, and like you said, it makes you realize what's really important. Good reminder, thanks. ;)
Glad Waylon is allright. That is scary. But it made me laugh too with memories because my youngest did stuff just like that. Out of all my kids he was the stinking who got into Ajax and other chemicals freaking me out! Oh my! Kids are pretty resiliant and it's a good thing.
I love your word - Capture - You use it creatively for different areas of your life and that is exciting!
Happy New Year!
I did the same thing to Mike the other day when he was "Watching" Dallin, who got a can of spray paint and painted the walls, and windows and wood floor. Never mind who left the spray paint out right???
I think you just captured all of your first paragraph in this story!
We are glad Waylon is OK and didn't need medical attention.
Post a Comment