I just read Liz's blog, and she was sharing an experience she had with a sales clerk who made a rude comment to her.
Have you had something similar like this happen to you?
I have.
*My most recent was at Target last weekend. The cashier asked me when I was due. My response, "I had the baby a week and half ago." Her response, "Oh." She didn't even turn red. That must not have been the 1st time she mistakenly thought a woman was pregnant!
*When I was pregnant with Gibson I was in Meijer parking lot. I was wearing a CURVES shirt. (I used to work there.) I was probably about 6m pregnant. A very skinny woman who when she turned sideways she dissapeared, came up to me and said, "That's not very good advertisement for Curves!" I was so shocked, I walked away. I should have said, "Go eat a cookie!"
*I went to the post office about 6 weeks after having Stella. I had Gibson on my hip, and it must have pulled my shirt tight across my belly. The teller asked Gibson: "Is Mommy having a baby brother or sister?" I replied, " We don't know yet and walked away!" I guess I was feeling generous and saved her from some embarrassment!
I can now laugh about these situations. I too have thought someone was pregnant and they weren't. However, I kept it to myself and asked around 1st!!
People are people. We're not perfect, we say and do hurtful things to others. Thank goodness for forgiveness, and tough skin!
Each experience I've had, has made me a little stronger.
10 comments:
It always amazes me the things that people feel like they have the right to say. Likewise, it always amazes me how offended *I* get at innocuous observations.
Though, I have to say? That idiot woman with the Curves comment? SHE deserves a boot to the head. That wasn't an innocent mistake, that was just plain MEAN.
I always try to remember that I too have said stupid things without thinking before. I just try to give people the benefit of the doubt . . . they don't seem to know better!
I have to weigh the thought"less" (meaning they spoke without thinking) comments against the thought"full" (meaning they full well knew they were being mean and spiteful to say it) comments.
But your right about needing to have thick skin and a forgiving attitude.
I remember when that lady said that about your curves shirt!
Having six children some how makes strangers feel they have the right or duty to comment constantly. Why do they care what I do? I ask them, "Which child would you like me to get rid of?"
the nerve of some people!!
People can be really rude. Usually I can totally let it roll of my back, but when I am a bit down anyway, those comments hurt!
You are so right... it is better to keep comments to yourself if it could possibly hurt someone's feelings. The more i read things like this around blogland I am even more conscious about it.
Now I really want to use your "Go eat a cookie" line!
I had someone ask a friend of mine if I was pregnant or had just gained a lot of weight really fast. It was my second pregnancy--and hardest. Also, ironically, this lady was pregnant with her first, but I was about 3 months further along than she was.
Wow Kasey, sounds like you've been on that end as well! I just don't understand people at all! I usually try to let things go but lately I have been more emotional than usual.
haha this post made me laugh so hard. People are just plain rude sometimes. I am six months pregnant and I was wimming @ the Y with my husband and two girls. We've been going since January, and the lifeguard just found out I was pregnant, and Said to me, "Oh I just thought you were fat!" I wanted to punch him. And I spent the whole rest of the day asking my husband, do I look pregnant just fat?
Post a Comment