What Do You Do?
As you know from my previous postings the hubster is getting braces. Before that happens he needs to get his bonding taken off his two front teeth and a bottom tooth extracted. He went to get those two things done this morning. He came back home with a numb bottom lip and was a little worried. He said he had a problem. As the dentist was trying to pull out his bottom tooth it broke vertically and a piece landed in his eye (thankfully he got it out and there were no scrathces)! The dentist said there was nothing he could do other than try and find him a surgeon and give him some extra numbing medicine until he could find a surgeon to get the tooth out. Well all of the surgeon's that are in our insurance network were unavailable today. The one that could see him in town was out of network, meaning we would have to pay big bucks for a mistake/accident the dentist made??? While the hubbby was home he looked online for the closest in network oral surgeon. 45 minutes away!! Thankfully they are working him in this afternoon. And he probably getting the tooth pulled out as I write this.
My question is: If we didn't find a in network surgeon available is it then the Dentist's responsiblity for paying for the out of network cost or do we pay for it?
I really don't know. Dentists are not Gods! Accidents happen, however, you would think they would have some kind of policy that would cover that right?
9 comments:
Yeah, I think the dentist should be responsible...but I wouldn't like to be the person trying to get the dentist to own up...Good luck!
I think the dentist should contribute something. Lord knows they have enough money. It'd be cheaper for him to help rather than deal with a malpractice suit.
And he should NOT charge you or your insurance for that particular appointment.
You would think they would have some policy, but who knows. That probably doesn't happen very often. Sorry he had such a difficult time with that tooth. Yikes.
Well of course I think the dentist should pay for it, however I don't know if he is legally obligated to ya know?
Oh, I agree - dentists make mistakes but Dentists should cover for thier mistakes. Either pay for the oral surgeon or no charge for the appointment in which he MAIMED your Q. Just sayin.
Oh my heck, that is too bad! I think the Dentist should be taking responsibility!! Good luck!
I think if it's his mistake then he should pay for it. But, getting the dentist to realize that would be whole different story. I am sorry he had to go through all of that. I hope he is feeling better today.
Typically, your health insurance plan will cover part of an oral surgery, as will your dental. There is usually a lifetime maximum (what the dental will pay), and since he is getting braces, you will want to use most of that for that...BUT...look into your insurance plan and see what they will cover for the oral surgery. ALSO, get something in writing from the guy who is fixing the teeth stating there was damage caused from the other dentist...you might be able to use it to your advantage. email me if you have any other questions (I'm a benefits administrator...it's what I do all day...I could even look at your plan for you if you want :)
How is hubby today? I hope he's doin' alright! You'd think that the dentist would/should pay something, but I bet he'd state that this is why the tooth was needing to be pulled anyway and that it's not his fault. Good thing Jenn is an benefits administrator . . . sounds like a plan to me!
Post a Comment