Friday, March 27, 2009

Part 2 , Nurturing Relationships

Last week we talked about spending less time thinking about yourself.

This week I want to focus on: Being Offended is a Choice.


Psalms 119:165 "Great peace have they which love thy law; and nothing shall offend them."


Self Reflection: As yourself this......

Am I easily offended? Over the past month, when and why did I choose to take offense? If I refused to take offense in these situations how would my current feelings and relationship with the other person be?


I get easily offended if my significant other makes a comment referring to my weight. It's never a bad one though. It's all in the interpretation. I always have my guard up when it comes to my weight. I've struggled getting these last 10 lbs off for too long now. I was telling Q awhile back how I'm just fed up with working out and not seeing results. His response was, " You just got to work harder." It instantly offended me because I interpreted it as: he doesn't think I work hard enough. He can't appreciate all the work I've been doing already, etc. He meant well, but I took offense from it. That is one of the reasons why I love him, his honesty (in small doses :) )


Are easily offended?

Challenge:

For one week make a commitment to yourself that you will not be offended by what someone else may say or do. Keep track everyday of the # of times you had an urge to be offended and how you reacted to that urge. After one week, record your experience how choosing to not be offended changed your relationships with others.

8 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

I do take things personal, but I will work on trying not to be offended about it.

Small House said...

You are not alone with taking offense. It's tricky not to. I'm REALLY good at it. I think I should work on this with you.
Have a great day.
Sandra

Lynn said...

I will work on this.

No i'm not in KZOO. North country Oceana County.

Anonymous said...

This is definitely something that I need to work on.

val m said...

Oh my this is something that I need to work on!!! I always try to tell myself everytime I get offended to let it go and then hopefully others can forgive me when I offend them. I never want to hurt anyone, but you never know what others are sensitive about and will hurt them.

Abby said...

Oh I don't know I better not keep track b/c being a woman I will just replay those moments over and over and think what I should have said is....(insert really witty comeback). I am better to just breath and let it go. . . .

Femin Susan said...

I work on this for definite.

The Kelly Variety said...

I don't get offended, are you saying I do? Alright maybe sometimes. Like you, being married to a blunt husband helps you think:1) Do I really want his opinion
2) He sure is funny 3)It is nice to be compelled humble right?