My kids will soon be 5 and 3. They eat their fruits and veggies but probably not the daily serving they should be getting. We are considering to start them on a multi vitamin. My question to you is, did you put your kids on vitamins at this age? If so, what kind did you get? I haven't researched it at all and want your advice and experience.
My kids are healthy and have had no broken bones yet!!! I'm thinking vitamins can't make things any worse than they are! Just another boost to their health.
I used to take the Strawberry Shortcake vitamins. One night when the babysitter was over I took the bottle of vitamins and hid them under my pillow. Once in bed, I managed to open the lid and ate about 7 or 8!! I thought they were like candy!!! Needless to say, I didn't get sick and the babysitter didn't babysit us again!!! I remember my parents were not impressed with the sitter when they found the bottle of vitamins by my bed the next day!!!
13 comments:
I totally grew up on Sesame Street vitamins...anyway our ped is now recommending a multivitamin for kids (mine are 2 and 3) because we live in Oregon and the kids here hardly get any Vit D. I chose the Wally version of Flintstones because it was exactly the same. The recommended dose is only half of a tablet so they last forever.
We always took the flinestones vitamins. Right now my kids take the gummy vitamins, but I am looking into some at the health food store for them.
I grew up on Flintstones Vitamins...my kids (3and 4 1/2) CAN'T STAND them, so we do the L'il Critters Gummy Vites - which they LOVE (they think they're candy). At their age, and your kids ages, they get two which they think is a hit! And what's more is these Gummy Vites contain no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives AND contain no wheat, milk, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, or soy - which is good for those with allergies!
LOVE your blog by the way. ;o)
Our boys are 5 & 4 and have been on them for about a year . . . we too use the Walmart brand of Flinestones. Any multi-vitamin that you physician . recommends would be good. Ultimately you just have to find the one your kiddos will take (so it has to look and taste good). We just got lucky on the first round, so that's what we're sticking with. You know . . . if the wheel isn't broke?! :o) Good luck! Keep us posted!
I have given my kids the Gummy Bear vitamins. But you have to make VERY SURE that they understand the difference between the candy and the vitamins. I tell mine that they are ALL vitamins to be on the safe side.
Jadyn also takes the Walmart brand of the Flinstones. I switched her to this (from the infant vitamin drops) when she turned 2.
Jadyn has always been extremely healthy. I can't say it is because of the vitamins...but it can't hurt.
My kids take a multi-vitamin from Sam's Club (because they can get expensive). I haven't noticed it helping a great deal, but it does make me feel better when their eating habits are particularly bad.
I wasn't sure but your readers seem to be, so I looked it up and found, "The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't recommend supplemental vitamins for healthy children over the age of 1 who have a varied diet."
"The researchers recommend that health care providers screen children and make recommendations about whether or not vitamins are needed on an individual basis. Supplemental vitamins are often recommended for children with specific needs, such as children who have chronic diseases, eating disorders, difficulty absorbing nutrients, liver disease, or are obese and on a weight loss program."
I suppose your children are healthy so they don't need them. After all we've been on the earth without them and still lived fine. However, if you do it's not like it will hurt. You might save money if you feel they don't!
I took Flinestone vitamins (YUCK). A hundred years later, I still can taste them. UGH! My kids were the same. They didn't like any that I gave them. So...I tried to make sure they ate good. They all seem healthy and wise (not wealthy though).
Have a good day.
Sandra
I had the Flintstone vitamins.. and used to HATE the orange ones. Bleck.
We do Flinstones here, too. Corban takes the toddler ones and the girls take the regular ones. However, Sienna HATES them so I told her we could switch once this bottle is empty. I started all the kids on vitamins when they turned two. *shrug* Figured it couldn't hurt!
I have to agree with Kelly on this one - unless your children have specific medical needs, a vitamin isn't necessary and can't beat a healthy diet with as many fruits/veggies as possible.
I used to give my kids vitamins when they were younger (5 & 3, now 9 & 11) years ago, but realized they liked to think it took place of eating the healthy food. So "Eat your broccoli" became, "I had my vitamin this morning". Not a good trade off.
Best course of action - talk to your pediatrician.
Go and talk to a nutritionist. Pediatricians don't take nutrition classes. I was talking to a nutritionist once and she told me that there is a right way to take supplements, it is not healthy to take them every single day. When you are getting the nutrients from your food and also adding the same nutrients from supplements.ie: minerals Your body gets imbalanced and instead of helping, you may trigger other health issues.
Post a Comment