Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Junk To Treasure


Original handle and key hole. This piece of furniture is over a 100 years old according to the guy I picked it up from. It was junk day in our neighborhood yesterday and today. This is the dresser/ I don't know what it's really called. The door is broke, it can be fixed with some wood glue. All it needs is some TLC!!!
This is the dresser I found by the side of the road. All of the drawers came with it. I didn't feel like putting all of them in for the picture. It has good detail and is in mint condition. I thin I'm just going to get new knobs on it and call it good.
This chair was free too. I'm going to sand the arms and legs, and try and stain the wood again. It's a very interesting chair. I wouldn't not have paid any money for it, but since it was free I couldn't pass it up. I'll find a good use for it somewhere.
I got this table from the thrift store. It has some water damage on it. I started sanding the top today. Not sure what I'll paint it yet. I'm new the refinishing but I'm eager to learn and try.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the chair! I would have paid money for it.(I have a fixation with chairs)

The white dresser looks really nice too.

Duncan said...

I'm typing from a an old antique desk right now. Astrid and I went through this phase of collecting old furniture and refurbishing it until we collected a little too much.

Did you ever hear any stories about our Aunt Meedie (Grandma Drummond's younger sister)? She was really into refurbishing old furniture. Her house was full of it.

Astrid says with each piece there's a story to tell which is true I guess. Too bad furniture can't talk. On the other hand, maybe better it doesn't ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Apparently you have "the gift" like your mom...finding the treasures. What fun! Your new family room looks great!
Aunt Norma

Robyn said...

Those sound like great projects! You're lucky to find so many cool things.

Frugal Finds said...

I can not wait to see all the finished products! You found some great stuff!!

The Dragonfly said...

these are amazing junk finds. I am really jealous - but in a totally good way. :)

Anonymous said...

wow. my neighborhood need junk days!!!