Thursday, October 2, 2008

It Happened Again

Gibson had yet another migraine. It started Wednesday morning. This one isn't as severe as the others have been. Nonetheless, he is still is a lot of pain. Today wasn't much better. This migraine he had noise and light sensitivity, couldn't walk, had his head tilted to one side, puffy eye lids, blood shot eyes, and just wanted to lay down. In the afternoons and evenings it would subside enough for him to be some what active for short periods of time and then he would have to lay down. He wanted to go to play on the swing set with Stella tonight but he couldn't walk far enough with out grabbing his head and squinting his eyes, and getting into a fetal position. Ughhhhhhhhhh!!!

I absolutely wish I could take his pain away. I feel so helpless. For now the neurologist and doctors say just give him ibuprofen for the pain, and a decongestant to clear his sinus. I was being to wonder if he had food triggers. I watched him this time on what he ate, and it wasn't anything more or less of what he normally eats.
I really think that it is sinus related. The poor guy is constantly congested. I've tried different medications and they don't clear him up. He is always breathing through his mouth. My allergist said that, people have to work twice as hard to breath through their mouth. It's the correct way to breath in through your nose. This could explain why my 4 year old occasionally takes naps. It's frustrating because all they say is he has migraines, and we'll just have to let them pass.
This time I called and said that I want a referral to an Ears, Nose, and Throat Doctor, and an Allergist. I'm sure he has some of the same allergies as me. The doctors said before that he doesn't need to see them, this time I said he WILL be referred. Even if both say he's fine then those two things are ruled out. I found out that there is also a headache clinic in Ann Arbor, that he may go to also. Still researching that one.

He sees the Allergist in two weeks. That means no allergy meds until after he's seen. His body has to be clean of the antihistamine for testing purposes. This could be a long two weeks!!

Please keep Gibson in your prayers!!!!

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

Sorry to hear that Kasey. I bet it is hard to watch him go through that and feel so helpless.

Nathan was supposed to go to the headache clinic in Ann Arbor (but he can't get the time off work). I have heard good things about the clinic.

I hope you are able to get some answers soon.

Katie staten said...

That just breaks my heart reading about this. Poor Gibson.

Anonymous said...

We sure will Kasey - as a Mom we just want to take our kids pain away. I can't imagine....hope you get some answers.

The Dragonfly said...

Praying for your sweet boy! One of the gals I visit teach has a son with chronic sinus infections that lead to migraines and she uses something called the Neti Pot to irrigate his sinuses every day. Here's a link - maybe you could talk to your doc and see if he knows anything about it.

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm

Hope this may help in some way!

heidi said...

Poor kiddo :-(

Anonymous said...

Poor guy!!! My little one has a cold right now and I think it is awful....I can't imagine what you are going through!! I, too have heard of the Neti Pot (it was shown on Oprah once). I know of a few people with bad allergies/sinus issues and they swear by it. You can find on at Walgreens (they have a coupon for $5/$20 good on today and tomorrow at their website!). As a mom, you know what is best. Don't back down on getting him referred. Good luck!!!

Vanessa said...

We will pray that you find the answers!
Keep asking the doctors questions until you get an answer that you feel comfortable with....
Hope he is better soon!

Mami Sue said...

Awe--I will keep Gibson in my prayers Kasey!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! My first visit to you via Joy! Love your space! I didn't know if you visited Mishebe at The Crowned Casa but she suffers from migraines and posted a medicine that she swears by although I don't know if children are allowed to take it? Sorry Kasey has to deal with these painful headaches. Hope you find a solution that works! Sincerely, Jeannette

Sara said...

Poor little guy, I'll be praying too.