Friday, August 29, 2008

Are You Serious?






Today McCain announced his pick for V.P., Sarah Palin. I don't know a whole lot about her but I like her for a couple of different reasons. I think she is beautiful,talented, strong, has great family values, and from what I did read of her it sounds like she is doing a lot of good in Alaska. Signing energy bills, stating facts that the polar bears are NOT going extinct like everyone else says they are. She should know, she lives in Alaska.

Before I go on further, I need to state this is my first passionate opinion I have on politics. I never gave politics much thought before I married in to the Hunt family. My husband and my mother in law love to talk politics. Sometimes I get politic overload. However, I feel very strongly that I need to stick up for Governor Palin in regards to a remark I heard a reporter make today.

I was watching a news station covering the big announcement of her being the V.P. pick. I wish I could have remembered the station and the reporter's name but I don't pay attention to those things. I probably should. Any hooo, back to my point. The male reporter was giving the next topic before going to break and he said this. "Governor Palin was pregnant with a downs syndrome baby and knew it was downs before the baby was born, and she STILL (he emphasized) gave birth to this child. Can you believe this?"


I was absolutely disgusted and shocked that those words came out of his mouth. What do you mean can you believe this? Of course she did. She is a loving Mother. Just because a child will or does have a disability doesn't make them any less human.

WE ARE ALL CHILDREN OF GOD. WE ARE ALL PART OF HIS KINGDOM.

I think I am extra sensitive to this because I have a brother in law with disabilities. I have learned more from him that any other "normal" person. Todd is 34 but lives like he's a kid. He is happy all the time! He is great with my 4 year old son Gibson. Sometimes they have a little too much fun. I think that Todd and many others with disabilities live life with such an innocent and pure spirit. A hug from Todd is priceless. His life is simple, he's happy and makes everyone smile! Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone smiled and laughed a little more?

Back to the reporter guy, obviously he couldn't find any dirt on her so he had to make this awful and distasteful statement about her. Does he think she's less qualified because she has a baby with down's? I just don't understand. Quentin did mention that most major networks are very liberal and are pro choice. Did this reporter really feel that way or was this "part of his job." If I was told to read that statement off the teleprompter I would walk off the set. It's not right.

I'm grateful that I have the freedom of speech. That we are allowed to share our own opinions. I needed to vent, and support her choice for having her CHILD OF GOD.

6 comments:

qhunt said...

I literally have tears coming to my eyes. Thanks for writing that

Duncan said...

I admire the fact that Palin chose to have her child despite the down syndrome diagnosis, but coming from the same family background as Quentin and given the moral standards and influence of our grandparents, such a choice is unremarkable.

I was lucky to find a Catholic girl (not to mention European) with the same moral outlook in this regard and I have no doubt that given the same choice Astrid would have made the same decision, mainly because it's not HER decision to make in the first place. Life, any life...is a gift... period.

On a political note however, I think that McCain made a mistake in snubbing Mitt Romney and I can't help but think that it was Romney's religion that influenced McCain's decision. Interestingly enough, Sarah Palin is Pentecostal by faith which seems to me to be is very much a play for the Evangelical vote.

Since most evangelical bible thumpers still believe that Mormons are polygamists and all the males wear beards (seems to be a common misconception to confuse Mormons with Amish)I guess McCain saw Palin as a sound choice amongst the "Amen" crowd.

I'm neutral in all of this, not having strong feelings for either ticket. But I can't help but be amused at McCain's battering of Obama for lack of experience and then picking Pailin as his running mate. Governor of Alaska isn't exactly a high powered executive position, but I heard the hunting and fishing is great!

Anonymous said...

I find an absolute contradiction; the same country that has "in god we trust" as an emblem, Legalized abortion in some states.

I think it's strange how these days we "admire" a woman that decided to have her child knowing he had downs.

Yes, the comments were repulsive.

Angie said...

I agree....Are you serious?! Barack vetoed the Born Alive Protection Act which provides medical care for babies who survived abortions. How is he going to support that now, I wonder? angie

Anonymous said...

My father in law saw an interview with the Palin's after their youngest was born. The reporter asked if they ever thought, "Why us?" when they found out about the Down's syndrome. Todd answered, "Our minds are now fixed on 'Why not us? Why not give this baby to a family running over with love. With a family who has the abilitiy to take care of this child? Why not?'" I still can't think about it without tearing up.

Thanks for stopping by my blog :-)

Mami Sue said...

Amen to that Kasey!
I thought his choice of Palin was brilliant and I was so happy to hear she carried her down's baby to term.