Friday, July 4, 2008

The Storm that Cost Us a Small Fortune!!!

This tree up rooted from the ground.
Closer view of the roots.
Workers fixing power lines.
A tree on its side.
Down the street from us.
If you look closely, you can see the hail.
During the storm. Looking out our back yard.



Wednesday night it stormed hard and long here. We were without power and were worried that our pool was going to overflow onto the cement and get into our basement. We were on our way home from Target when it hit. We were driving really slow on 131 along with everyone else. We were questioning whether to stop and pull off to the side of the road or drive slow and cautious and hopefully get out of the storm and home safely. I asked Quentin, " Shouldn't we pull off to the side of the road and wait it out?" His reply, " Only if I'm a real man I'll keep driving." So that is what we did, kept driving. He is a good driver and I helped spot the falling branches or sticks that fell in front of us.
We were very lucky and didn't have any trees fall at our house. Our neighbors weren't so lucky. And I didn't realize until later in the afternoon the next day that our basement had flooded, so we took all the carpet squares that we soaked and put them out side. We don't use that part of the basement enough to care if it's carpeted or now. The carpet was ruined anyway, I'm glad they were squares.

Since this is the 3rd or 4th time the power has went out at our house, we decided to drive to Harbor Freight and buy a generator. It works great, and I love it even more because we had a 15% off coupon for it. I'm so grateful that Quentin is a good worker with his hands and figure electrical things out. He had to wire and rewire some things.


4 comments:

Duncan said...

Wow! That looked liked some of the up rooting storms we have over this way. You were fortunate that the tree fell away from the house.

Happy 4th! (I hope)

The Casa Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Casa Hunt said...

WOW!!! two falling trees in less than a month...I'll think twice before moving to MI!!!

Lindsey said...

Wow...I just got internet access back. Sorry to hear you got hit so hard. Glad to hear you will have generator back-up from now on.

Oh, and I was driving back to the apartment the night of the storm. I must not be a "real man" because I pulled over for awhile because I couldn't see at all!