Monday, July 21, 2008

Scripture Ride

Yesterday I was talking with my friend Karina and asked her how she gets her kids ready to be reverent in church on Sundays. My kids are good for the most part, however, they can't the concept of whispering. She said that she role plays with her kids on the way to church and that helps.
Gibson had a hard day yesterday. And so did we. On the way to church he wouldn't keep his hands to himself. We gave him a warning and when he didn't listen we pulled into the bank parking lot and Quentin calmly took him out of the car and sat him on the curb and gave him a time out. Quentin has been doing an amazing job at keeping calm with Gibson. That seemed to work for 5 minutes then he became worse. This time screaming and kicking at Quentin's back seat. When we got to church Quentin stayed in the car and Gibson had to stay quiet for 4 minutes. 1/2 hour later Quentin and Gibson come into church. I had went in earlier with Stella. Gibson did pretty good during sacrament. I understand that three hours of church is a long time for someone who is Gibson and Stella's age. That's asking a lot from little children to sit still for that long. Heck, I'm 27 and I still have a hard time sitting for that long!!! I'm looking forward to the day when we can sit in church without interruptions. Quentin and I were talking about it, and sometimes it feels like a chore to go to church. And we feel like we are just there to discipline our kids the whole time. We know that this too shall pass!!!

On our way home from church, the ride was yet again an unpleasant one. Gibson was upset again, and hitting Stella. We tried threatening to take away his beloved trains away and that didn't work. When we got home Gibson was in time out for 20 minutes. He was also upset because he wanted a cookie and we said no. So after 20 minutes in time out, he came out happy, then went into the kitchen and sneaked a cookie from the cookie jar. He took a bite and then slowly came into the office and showed me the cookie with a sly look on his face. I took the cookie away and put him in time out again!!! This one lasted for about 20 minutes again. Our timeout rule is we don't let our children out until they have calmed down. Gibson was kicking the door, screaming, etc.
By this time I am emotionally and mentally exhausted. He is very stubborn like his parents!!!

We had lunch at Grandpa and Grandma's and then came back to the house and took naps. Afterwards I was determined to end this day on a good note. Karina also said that her and her family sometimes go for drives and she will read scriptures aloud. It works for them because they are all in their car seats and can't move around!!! I decided we should try this. It was a success. I was able to read for about 15 minutes. We were reading in Alma. The kids enjoyed it. Afterwards we listened to their primary songs and sang songs together.

I'm grateful for that car ride. We were able to feel the spirit and calm down and spend some time together. We needed that after our draining morning and afternoon. I think we'll make our "Scripture Rides" a weekly thing.

Parenting is the most challenging responsibility I've every had, it is also the most rewarding. I'm not perfect by any means. Gibson tests my patience daily. I love him. He has so much energy I don't know how to handle it!!!!

His head is still bothering him today. It has been three days since his migraine. This morning he would walk with his head cocked to the right side and his eyes squinted. I asked Quentin to give him a blessing and that seemed to help. He hasn't complained about his head since. I'm grateful that Quentin has the priesthood and can give our family blessings.

While Quentin was giving Gibson a blessing, Max and Stella were sitting on the floor with me with their arms folded. During the blessing Max started to repeat every word that Quentin said and at the end all of the kids said together, "Jesus Christ, AMEN!!!"




3 comments:

Lindsey said...

The "Scripture Ride" sounds like a great idea. Nathan and I have read scriptures on the way to church and Jadyn likes to "follow along" with her Scripture reader and look at the pictures.

The Casa Hunt said...

Hats off to you two. I don't think I would have that kind of patience. I hope Gibson starts feeling better and that you continue with the Scripture Rides. Laters, Randy

Candace said...

I felt like packing it in yesterday too. Getting to church was fine, a little late, but fine. But sacrament was horrible. There is whispering in our pew either. I wanted to go home. I know that I am teaching my children the value of church and I want to raise them with the foundation that makes it easy for them to feel the Spirit but there has to be at least some part of church where I have time to feel the spirit. Maybe in the next decade of my life. I hope that that ends up just a joke.
I know that things will be better when we have finally achieved the objective of reverence with Eva for the Sacrament. Juli mentioned that Max does much better when there aren't other children nearby and Eva has the same problem; does this have any affect in the meeting for you?
Sorry it was a trying day. We've just started reading the scriptures during breakfast. Its pretty nice.
I feel your frustration.