Thursday, April 24, 2008

Evaluation

Stella had her 2 year evaluation done today by a KRESA parent educator named Claudia. She asks a number of questions and tells Stella to demonstrate certain things. After the questions are through, she talley's the answers all up and can see if she's on target according to her age. She goes over, communication, motor skills, problem solving, and personal/social. Stella scored very well and is right on target with everything. She gave me some fun activities to do with her. I think that KRESA is a great program that the community has to offer. Stella also got a free book from Claudia.

We had Love and Logic class tonight. It was a review of what we had learned from the last 5 sessions. We got on the subject of t.v.s and the affect it has on children's brain development and their mental skills as they go through school. It is suggested by pediatricians that children from 0-2 yrs watch no t.v., they need to develop from social interaction with family, mom and dad, etc. The need interaction, nurturing, and learning by example. One of the educators tonight said that some research that is being conducted at this time, is suggesting that Baby Einstein movies could lead to a decrease in a child's vocabulary. They are still conducting more studies to make this a fact or fictional statement. Who would have thought educational videos could now lead to a decrease in what it's trying to promote!!!!

They also suggested if you do have the t.v. on, make sure it's educational, to monitor what your child is watching. Gibson's teacher tonight made a good point. She said, "it's amazing how much money is spent in the marketing of children videos, when all that really needs to be said, is spend quality time with your child and turn off the t.v.. You teach them, You guide them, You show them, You are the parent!!!!"

I agree with her, but I also made the statement that sometimes I need the t.v. on. It allows me to get some things done around the house and it allows me to have a break!!! I can only play Candy Land and Memory so much!!!

I monitor what the kids watch. I know some days I let them watch t.v. more than others. I'm working on that. Now that it's nice out, I don't have such a struggle with the t.v.

I learned a lot today. I like learning about activities and new ways in which I can help my children grow emotionally, mentally, and socially. They also talked about the importance of having stability in the home and family. That's another reason why I'm so thankful for the gospel. The gospel has helped me and has given me counsel on how to raise my children in a way that Heavenly Father would want them to be raised. I'm so thankful for my children. They are truly a joy in my life. Although, I do admit, there are days when I question to myself, now why did I want kids again? But I feel that those days are needed to test me, and to make me a stronger person.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Great post Kasey. I am glad the love and logic classes are helping. I agree that the gospel really does teach us good parenting skills.

Lindsey said...

Funny story: I was posted the last comment and Jadyn wanted to type. I said that I was writing to Kasey. She said, "oh, Jadyn likes Kasey so much". So, you are loved by my child!

Candace said...

How do I get in contact with the kresa people; I would like to have Eva evaluated.

Sonja said...

I am a fan of love and logic. I totally agree with the tv watching also. We just decided not to have the kids watch tv so I wouldn't have to monitor it so much and just do videos and then I know what they are watching. I use it for some down time for me too. How did the run go?