My fondest memories of my Grandpa are many. He would always give me a great big bear hug and call me Kasey, Kasey, snookes. What is/are snookes? I don't know if that's even a word. He would always say it in a rhythmical tone so it sounded good. I used to go downstairs to his workshop and take apart his old weed whackers. I could never put them back together, I was just fascinated with taking things apart. He was always quiet and had a great love for reading. He enjoyed reading Readers Digest books and National Geographic, along with books about the olden days.
He had a scent to him that smelled of peppermints, Werther's Original candy, and sometimes B.O.! lol
He would always tell my Mom he couldn't smell anymore, so he never knew.
Grandpa had a love for fishing. When I was little he took me on his fishing boat. He loved to tinker in his workshop. He made me a jewelery holder, shoe rack, and a night stand. He used to sit on his brown and white lawn chair at the outside of his garage and watch the sprinklers on the lawn. My sister and I would ride their red tricycles up and down their driveway pretending we were in a parade.
My last memory of us together was when I was sitting by his bedside. Looking at him he was weak, frail, but peaceful. We locked hands, and I told him this isn't the last time we'll see each other. I asked him to watch over me and the family and that I will see him again. He squeezed my hand even harder with what strength he had and said, "I will."
My Grandma loved to crochet. She made the most beautiful doilies. She also had her hands in cross stitch and sewing. Grandma and Mom would make matching sun dresses for Krisann and I. I still have the quiet books she made for us to sit in church with. We loved playing cards with her and Grandpa. Skip-bo, Kings in the Corner, etc. She also made the best Sugar and Molasses cookies. I always got to pick two cookies and have a A&W Root beer. I would go on walks with her where we would talk about life and her growing up in the depression. The would go to Florida for the winters. We went to visit them once and she took us around the whole trailer park complex and introduced us to their neighbors. She made us feel really special. I'll never forget after I had Gibson she called the hospital at 6:00 in the morning and asked if I had delivered him yet. It was so sweet to hear her excitement over the phone. Even more special she was able to hold two of my newborn babies. I loved watching her play piano and sing hymns. We would often get out her old photo books and she would tell me about her childhood and the things she did with her siblings.
I love my Grandpa and Grandma.
6 comments:
Very touching post Kasey. I am glad you have good memories that you can hold onto.
Those are such sweet memories! Thanks for telling us about your grandma and grandpa:)
Those are such precious memories. And now you have written them down, that's even better. All of my grandparents have passed on, and I miss them all so much.
That's so sweet! (In more ways than one :)
keep writing these things down! your children and grandchildren will cherish these stories!
Beautiful post Kasey. Both my granddads passed before I was born. So I don't know what it is like to have a grandpa. Both my grandmas are alive and amazing women. I treasure them so much.
Post a Comment