Sunday, October 10, 2010

Farm Day: Part 3

Dad picked us up in the tractor and wagon and we ventured to the farm to start the tour.


It was chilly out and so the kids were keeping each other warm.

Nathan and his two little sweeties.


We split into two groups. Our group started out in the calf barn. James on the right and Ryan gave us our tour of the farm. The calfs in the picture here are bucket fed from birth. They have never drank from a bottle.


Lizelle showing Stella how to let a calf suck on your fingers. Their tongues feels like sand paper.


Ryan is training this calf how to drink from a pail. He sticks his fingers in the calfs mouth, and the guides the calf's head into the bucket to drink the milk.


This little one was less that 24 hours old.



Then we moved down to the heifer barn. This is like teenager stage for the cows.


This is the only bull on the farm that gets to be with all the ladies! He is basically clean up crew for whatever insiminations didn't take from the procedure.


This is the milking parlor. The farm milks twice a day. 3:30 a.m., and 3:30 p.m.. It was so fun to watch my friends expression as they entered the parlor for the 1st time.


This is my cute sister Kait. She is at MSU right now in the dairy management program. Sometimes she comes home to earn some extra cash.


Megan took a try on the rope in the hay barn.




Afterwards we went on a beatuiful color tour with the tractor and wagon.
We finished the evening with a bonfire. It was a great day and we hope to do it again next year.







































































































5 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

OmGosh looking at all three posts about the farm. How fun. I wish I knew of one around here like that. So fun.

Candace said...

It was so fun. We can't wait for next year. Today I had the ironing board up and Eva was pretending that it was a cow and she was milking it.
I remember my expression in the milking room: my eyes were huge and I'm pretty sure my mouth was open.
You missed when Q snuck up on Rachael when she was sitting up high on some hay; it was awesome.
Thanks again.

Johnson Family said...

Yes, please, PlEaSe, PLEASE do it again next year! We won't miss it! It looks awesome!

The Dragonfly said...

Those baby cows were so cute! I am fascinated by the farm and would love to bring my children to see it in person. Did you work on this farm as a child? Do you miss "farm life"?

erica said...

That farm looks like a lot of fun!! I just found your blog and love it! I am a new follower, and from Michigan!

xo