Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'm Growing Up

I am changed. This week has been such an eye opener. It started off really good. I found some really good deals at Michael's to stock up on crafts for the winter and I was in a happy mood. Maybe it's because I've been listening to Christmas music every chance I get. Christmas music makes me so happy.
Anyway.... last night I hosted a pumpkin recipe exchange with several friends. It was a success. Lots of pumpkin dishes, they were all very good. There are too many to write on the blog so I've decided to highlight one of them. This was #1 in my book. It was so moist, sweet but not too much, and filling. You have to make this recipe and let me know what you think!!! Really.

Pumpkin Spice Whoopies

1C canned pumpkin
1/3 C butter, softened
1 pkg. 2 layer-size spice cake mix
2 eggs
1/2C milk
1 recipe Marshmallow or cool whip-Spice filling

Preheat over to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil (grease foil, if using.) In a large mixing bowl beat pumpkin and butter with an electric mixed on medium speed until smooth. Add cake mix, eggs, and milk; beat on low speed until combined, and then on medium speed for 1 minute. By the heaping tablespoon, drop mounds of batter 3 inches apart on cookie sheet; keep remaining batter chilled. Bake 15 minutes or until set and lightly browned around edges. Carefully remove from parchment or foil; cool on wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, lining cooled cookie sheets each time with new parchment or foil. If desired, place cookies in a covered storage container with waxed paper between layers to prevent sticking. Store cooking at room temperature for 24 hours. Prepare Marshmallow-spice Filling up to 2 hours before serving. Spread about 2 1/2 tablespoons filling on flat side of one cookie; top with a second cookie. Repeat. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 2 hours. Makes 15.

Marshmallow-spice filling: Up to 2 hours before serving, beat together 1/2 cup softened butter and one 8 ounce package softened cream cheese until smooth. Add 2 C sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 a 7 ounce jar marshmallow cream 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/2tsp each ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat until well combined.


Back on track.......... last night I had great conversation with two of my very dear friends. These women are so strong in the gospel and are great Mother's and Wives. They have always been there for me and listen to my "woe is me moments"!!! One thing that made me have a light bulb moment was when we were talking about this world we live in and should we bring more children into this crazy world, are we doing everything we can as Mother's and Wifes to prepare. Is the world going to go to pot in 4 years????? etc. My faith has been really tested lately. It's so easy to say, I have faith. It's different to act on it. Yes, I fear for the future of my children, yes, I have doubts with our new President. But I must have FAITH. Faith is what is going to get me through these challenging times, or these days of doubt. I think my friends said it best when they recited a scripture to me: Be Still and Know that I am God!! He is in control and always will be. He gives us every tool we need to succeed in life. He gave us our agency. It's up to us what we do with it!!
After listening to my friends I am now at peace with the way things are, and will be. I am a total believer in talking to others to help with your struggles or concerns. It's free therapy!!!


Today I had another dear friend come over with her two girls. She too, is amazing. It was such an eye opener to listen to her talk about budgeting for her family. They are a financially stable, responsible family. She spoke about keeping a budget and how to be disciplined.
I took her advice and I'm inspired. I don't know why it clicked this time, but I am so grateful it did.

We were not doing bad before, I just knew that we needed an improvement. What a difference it makes seeing numbers on paper. We are truly blessed!! I've read Dave Ramsey books before and have applied some things and was really motivated and then I got relaxed. I really feel that this time it's going to stick.

I want a secure future for our family! Quentin and I sat down tonight and made our plan of attack!! Our newly revised budget!! We are a team and it's exciting that we are on the same page and we are going to devour our debt like it's our last meal!!! (Did that make sense??) We've agreed to hold each other accountable for our actions. I just hope we play nice!!!

I'm growing up.

I hope that you are successful with your budget and at peace with your faith. Be inspired.

5 comments:

Clenece said...

That was my favorite recipe also! I was going to post that too...one of these days!
Thanks again for being such a great host!

Stephi said...

Kasey - I was trying to budget and my idea wasn't working, so I'm going to try something new. Thanks for the reminder. I too have been worried about our new president. So many of my friends are jumping for joy, and I'm like, okay, I hope he changes his mind real fast... That night I talked to one of my friends about it. We said that Heavenly Father's work is going on no matter who's president, and it's good to focus on that. We just need to stand in Holy Places. I can tell your home is a holy place by the way you talk about your husband and family. I'm sure you will succeed!

Anonymous said...

We are going through Ramsey right now - it's so amazing. He has really shed light on how important it is to safe for our children's future, and to be debt free....we're on our way too! Best of luck!

Vanessa said...

LOVE the recipe......I will try it!

Dave Ramsey and Financial Peace University have been a BLESSING in our life. We are debt free except for the house....Dave has a radio show on XM or Sirius...I think it is helpful to listen to as well. People call in with their story or a situation and he advises them as to what he would do. It is interesting. We do not do the envelopes anymore...that drove me crazy. Instead, we have a weekly cash budget each. When that is gone, its gone! It was SO HARD at first, but well worth it.
With you and your husband on the same team.....you will be successful! WORK THE PLAN!

The Dragonfly said...

ooh. budget. stick-to-it. big words. words I need to work on. thanks for the inspiriation.