Monday, September 15, 2008

Progress

We feel good today. We accomplished a lot. Despite our sore backs and legs! I'm really feeling my age now!
This is what we did today with the help of Wilson and Sharon. Thanks to Sharon for watching the kids today.

  1. Ripped all the paneling out.
  2. Cleaned up all the water out of the basement.
  3. Drilled holes in the cinder blocks and filled them with expanding foam.
  4. Sealed the seams with cement caulk.
  5. Cut the heating system out in the basement. It hadn't worked for years. We're getting a Paul Harvey space heater, per Dad's request!!
  6. Ripped out rotten 2x4's.
  7. Pulled hundreds of nails out of the studs, in order to lay the dry wall down.
  8. Priced out flooring and dry wall.
  9. Put the plastic tubbing in the ground for the trench. We need to get some more than we can bury it.
  10. Took all of the scrap out in the garage.
Tomorrow tackle a whole new list of to do's!!!

This has been stressful but also exciting. I really think it was a blessing in disguise. It has leaked before but never this bad. I can't remember the last time it has rain for 48 hours straight. I think we got somewhere around 10 inches! I'm so glad that my parents were here to help that morning. I don't think I would have stayed sane if they weren't here. Quentin has been so motivated to do this. And bless his heart, he is taking vacation days to work!! We are kind of on a time crunch because he'll be gone for 2 weeks in October. And even though we are not letting the kids go down there and play Gibson did manage to sneak down there and he did step on a nail but it only left a mark on his foot, it didn't penetrate his skin!! He also got a fat lip from falling and hitting the floor heater. (The floor is all carpet glue, so every step sticks to the floor.)

Back to the flooding: Everything happens for a reason. And we are surrounded by awesome family and great and loving friends who are always willing to help us. In fact, I got two phone calls from the same friend today! I am so blessed!

I'm starting to get excited for the finished product. I can envision it in my head. I just hope everything works out!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Remodeling!!! FUN!!
what do you have in mind?? carpet,wood floor?? What color are you going to paint the walls??

I'm sure it's going to look great!

Anonymous said...

Tuesday's Tunes?

Lindsey said...

You have such an amazing attitude about it. I hope you enjoy the finished product and the effort was worth it!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's an overwhelming amount to get done in a day! Hope it pays off and you love the outcome!