Wednesday, May 28, 2008

ER

Mother's instinct. That's all I can say. Since Monday afternoon Gibson had been complaining that his belly hurt. I was giving him Motrin for the pain and monitoring his symptoms. When Tuesday came around he had higher fever and complaining about every hour his belly hurt. By that night around 12:30 he was in the fetal position crying saying his belly hurt, after going to the bathroom 3 or 4 times that day and he didn't eat a whole lot. He temp was 103. At 12:50 a.m. I took him to the ER. They did some x-rays and ran some tests and said that he had a U.T.I. and his white blood cell count was 23 in his urine and should be 0. The x-rays also showed that he was very "backed" up which could be why he was having belly pains. They sent us home at 4:30 with a script for an antibiotic and a note to come back to see them or his Peds doctor Wednesday around noon. Well the peds office said that they would have sent him to the ER so just go there. We get there around 12:30 today and we had a P.A. take a look at him. Gibson didn't have a fever at the time of the second visit. ( I gave him Tylenol, it was at 101.8) And he looked better but still wasn't a hundred percent. I got the feeling like they looked at me like I was nuts for bringing him back but then I explained what the doctor the night before said, and then they read his chart and then they listened. I hate that feeling when another adult who holds more knowledge makes me feel so small!!!! This is my child, something is wrong!!! Anyway back to the story. They look him over and ran another urine to check his white blood cells again. Well they asked for that after he had just went to the bathroom 15 minutes before. So he was only able to give about a 1 tsp of urine in the cup. Those labs came back negative. For him to go from 23 white blood cells to 0 in less than 12 hours just doesn't seem right. But I'll take it, I'd rather have him healthy than sick. The P.A. also said he does not have a U.T.I. and to stop the antibiotic the other doctor told him to take.
I seriously didn't know what to think. How can two different doctors in less than 24 hours come up with two totally different diagnosis? Was it the miracle of prayer that Gib was better in such a short amount of time? I'd like to say so.

What baffles me is that he still has a fever. Now his throat hurts but he says his belly feels all better and he was able to have super with us. They also did a throat culture on him and that came back negative. So........ now we wait for the urine culture to see what that said. For now he's in bed and hopefully will sleep tonight with out any interruptions. I'm hoping for a day of recovery tomorrow for him.

Oh I forgot to mention that as we were leaving to go to the ER this afternoon, Stella got her stool out and grabbed the pain reliever and somehow opened it up and as I came in the kitchen she was drinking it like water!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! We called poison control and said that she will be fine, tired, but fine. We figured she had about 2 tsps, when she should only have about 1 1/2 tsp.

These are the days of our lives.


2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow, what an ordeal. That is extremely frustrating that you got such differing opinions. I hope they can figure out what is causing him pain soon.

Hope you all got a good night sleep.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about parent's instinct. Sarah, our oldest, had bad stomach aches last year at the end of July. No fever, just pain. Everyone (myself included) thought it was just something she ate. My wife thought otherwise. Come to find out I passed along a liver disease to her (nothing major, just need to keep fluid in us).
You mom's are something.

Tim Molhoek