Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pets are not my thing!!!

As most of you know, we do not have pets.And we probably never will. We both grew up with dogs and cats, and I grew up on a farm, surrounded by the smell of poop!!! Dogs and cats and other animals are fine but not in our house.We like to visit Moses and Hershey and our neighbor's pets. I don't like all the hair that's everywhere and the expense of having a pet in your home, not to mention the messes, the chewed up furniture and toys. When I grew up the dogs were outdoor dogs who slept in the hay barn at night and on the really cold nights, would sleep in the back room in the house.

I told Wilson and Sharon that I would take care of Moses while they are out of town. So yesterday I let him out three times, he only would go the two times. Last night he slept out in the porch. When I went this morning to go let him outside, he pooped all over their rug! Everywhere. I had to throw it away. And then clean it up off the floor. The smell and the mess, was gross. I was gagging. So when I let him out, he wandered away. Sometimes he wanders around and then comes back. So, I put food in his dish and left the porch door open for him to return. Two hours later I went back to see if he had returned. He wasn't there but the food was gone. Later in the afternoon I get a phone call from a neighbor who put Moses in her garage and would keep him until I came and got him. It was just a huge inconvenience because I had to call Derek and Alicia to come over and watch the kids, while I go to their house and grab the leash and Wilson's van to drive to the neighbor's house to get him.Thank you Derek and Alicia! When I got there, Moses was living the high life. They had a bed and a pen that he was in and they even bought this huge bag of dog food for him. I told them, that the next time he wanders he's coming to your house all the time!!!!
Thank goodness Moses willingly got into the van and I put him back on the porch. Around 6:00 tonight the kids and I went over there and put him in his pen downstairs where he is used to sleeping. I hoping that there will not be another accident!!!

And this incident today justifies yet again why I don't want a pet. More power to the people who do like them. I understand they are good companions, etc. But they are not for our family!!!

No comments: