Sunday, February 10, 2008

Updates on Gibson

I thought it was time to update you on Gibson's progress with potty training. Although some of you may find this not appropriate to write about on a blog, I think it's a great mile stone for Gibson's maturity.
So two weeks ago, Gibson went #2 on the toilet for the first time. He was so happy and excited that I told him he could call his Grandma's and tell them. When he was on the phone with Grandma Eisenga this is what he said, "Gramma I pooped in the toilet. I did it. I so happy, Gramma."
We wanted to celebrate, so we decided to take him to McDonald's play land. After about 45 minutes of playing with all of the kids in the slides, it was time to go home, get the kids in the bathtub, and put them to bed. I told Quentin to take Stella in the car and I will get Gibson out. Well after 10 minutes of coaxing him to come down from the slides, I finally had to ask a girl who was playing in the slide to go up and bring him down for me. She tried several times, along with other children she asked to help. All of them had the same response, "It doesn't matter who asks him to go down the slide, he just won't come down." I told the girl very nicely, you need to drag him down the slide then. After a minute or so, Gibson came down the slide and shouted, " I poopy mamma." I never thought the reason why he wouldn't come down was because he was poopy. He had underwear on, so of course I threw it out in the garbage. I put his coat on, and hauled him over my shoulder and put him in the car. I didn't put his boots on, I was too mad.

"How ironic, we take him to play land because he pooped in the toilet, and then he poops in his pants at the play land," Quentin said.

We learned our lesson, and we are not going to reward him until he goes 10 times on the toilet.
Which brings me to the update. Yesterday, Gibson told me that he had to go. And he did. Success!! Then last night, he went to the bathroom by himself, without telling us he had to go. He did everything on his own, including wiping, which he made more of a mess. But it's the effort that counts.

Such a proud moment for us. Our parenting skill are finally paying off. I really think Gibson is getting the concept now of going to the bathroom on the potty. I'm sure that there will be many more accidents and successes, but that's what raising a toddler is all about, right? I suppose we are so excited about this because he will be 4 in June and we never thought this time would come. For the longest time he showed no interest in going potty. Now Stella is showing interest! Her favorite part is flushing.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

YAY for Gibson. It sounds like he really is starting to "get it" because he is telling you he needs to go.