Wednesday, February 23, 2011

History In The Pages

I recently inherited this family book from my Mom. It was my Grandpa's. The publishing date is 1862. It is all in Dutch. It is titled: The Mediator Between God and Man. 

It contains beautiful prints of places that were in the Bible. 


Looking through, I found a fern in between the pages. I wonder how long it's been there and what is from?  Funeral? Palm Sunday? Wedding? 


There was also this beautifully hand written letter or report not sure what it is. I  think the handwriting in this letter is impressive. I certainly can improve on my penmanship skills. Everything is done on computer now, that I'm a bit out of practice!


I like these books. They look like they have some interesting stories.



My Mom remembers Bunny Brown And His Sister Sue being read to her. I can't wait to read it to my children. 



I also received two bible story books. Can you tell who this is? They didn't sugar coat the illustrations back in 1943. 

Beautiful illustrations!! I will enjoy reading and looking through all of my books!

6 comments:

The Kelly Variety said...

These are awesome, beautiful illustrations (minus David and Goliath).

The Dragonfly said...

That book is an absolute treasure! Did you get a new camera and I missed it? Your photos have stepped it up a notch! me likey. :)

The Casa Hunt said...

Did you find somebody to translate the letter? I think the family book it so neat.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful book. And I have seen the Bunny Brown on my mom's bookshelf. I love old books.

Grand Pooba said...

That is so cool!!! Especially the fern! Who knows how old that is?!!

i love old books!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Something to definitely treasure!