I recently attended Women's Conference at my church. A woman spoke about Nurturing Relationships. I know I could work on my communication skills and thought you would enjoy learning as have I. Each week I'll highlight what she did.
SPEND LESS TIME THINKING ABOUT YOURSELF
"Selfishness is a destructive, gnawing, corrosive element in the lives of most of us."
- President Gordon B. Hinckley
Self Reflection: In what ways does my focus on myself and/or the problems I'm facing get in the way of my relationships with those I love?
My answer: I tend to take my frustrations out on the people I love the most. My family. If I'm upset about something, I tend to be impatient with the kids, or I'm silent towards my husband. In the end, this isn't helping any of us. If I am honest about my feelings and communicate how I feel I wouldn't spend so much time dwelling on the problem. This week I'm going to try and focus on my families needs more and spend less time thinking about myself.
What's your answer?
5 comments:
I couldn't agree more Kasey! What I battle most is the evenings. I don't know why but I become extremely selfish around, oh, 8:00 or so. I just want everybody to go to bed so that I can read or watch some tv or basically just DO WHAT I WANT TO DO. Well, how is that working for me?? Not at all. I feel like I am impatient with the kids, don't give them the one on one TLC time they need to get a good nights sleep and then I end up aggrevated because its 10:00and I still havent done what I want to do. Its ridiculous really, but reading your post has made me see how true it is. This week, I am going to work on my "focused on me" issues and try to do better!! After all, the day will come when they don't want us to read a story to them anymore, right?? And too soon!!
Thanks for the post and I love the new face of your blog!! AWESOME!!
Oh...how did you do at Walgreens today??
I realize that I need to balance my time better during the day. When Brian doesn't get home until 9 a lot of times, I will have just put Parker to bed, and all I want to do is "me" time. I want a break! What I need to do is somehow fit that in during the day when I am watching Parker, so that when Brian comes home at night I can focus on spending time with him. What a struggle time management is! :D
I think that is an awesome idea. I have the same issues...puting others and their needs first would make it a whole lot easier, & discussing something that is bothersome...would help so much. I don't do that enough.
This seems to be a platform that no one else agrees with me on. So glad I read your post - and I totally agree. The best "me time" is serving others.
Great post! I am with you on the taking frustrations out on family. My poor husband has endured many a tongue lashing that he hasn't deserved. I am really working on this.
Post a Comment