Last night Quentin set Stella aside and told her that it is not okay to push her brother. They were having one of their many "fights" yesterday. Her response was, "Daddy, you got Stella in your eyes."
How could your heart not melt after that?? She saw her reflection in her Dad's eyes.
Which made me think a little bit. Have you looked into your children's eyes and saw your reflection? Are you kind but firm? Angry or aggressive?
This is a quote from Elder F. Melvin Hammond from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He says: Too often out of our own frustration and weakness we raise our hands to strike our children, usually in an attempt to protect our own selfish pride. Every child needs to be disciplined. Not only do they need it; they expect it; they want it. Discipline gives direction and teaches self-control, but in all discipline there should be a sense of righteous judgment and pure love.
I try to remember the fruits of the spirit while I'm with my children. I loved singing that song in Sunday School. "The fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace. Patience, kindness, goodness. Faithfulness, gentleness, and self control."
What helps you stay calm during difficult moments of parenting?
13 comments:
Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. keep up the good work.. Do visit my blog and post your comments.. Take care mate.. Cheers!!!
That was beautiful...I need some work on that, I tend to let things bother me too much. Need a little more patience. This post gave me perspective!
How cute. I couldn't ever get mad at Stella...she is too cute!
I think what helps me stay calm during difficult parenting moments is remembering that my children were Heavenly Father's children first. I am just entrusted with their care. It is hard to get too angry when I focus on that.
Love Your Blog!Yes I pray for patience to deal with my blessings everyday!!! LOL!
Stella is so sweet!!
We love her.
Kasey you are such a great mom! You guys are doing great! The best thing for me to do when I am ready to blow is just to leave the situtation for a moment. I usually realize it isn't that big of a deal!
She is so cute! I love that picture. I don't have to worry too much about the parenting part.
Oh my, children can put everything into perspective! What an adorable little girl.
I struggled with patience. Especially with my first. I DID A LOT of praying for patience. I usually have to take a deep breath and think before I react.
So fun stopping by and reading your blog.
Have a great day.
Sandra
Reflection. . .I melted and I'm not her parent. Smart girl.
I usually end up doing a lot of repenting. I guess that's just the process of learning and growing (for me). Luke and I were doing the dishes together tonight and he asked me if being a mom is hard. I quickly responded, "yes, and I love it. There are times when I get frustrated, but it's the best job I could ever have."
I try to do better each and every day. That's my take.
Thanks for sharing the quote--I need reminders like that. When I'm struggling with patience with my kids, I go hide somewhere....maybe not the most righteous way of dealing with things....
What a beautiful quote.
I don't know any mom that doesn't struggle with this. I think it helps if we make a conscience decision to remember that we need to walk and respond in love.
Sue
Stella is adorable, nobody could be mad at her after she says something like that!
Post a Comment