Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Where'd All of the School Spirit Go?

Last night my husband and I were able to go to a boys basketball game opener between two local teams. They are class B and C schools. When we entered in the gym I noticed that the seats were not filled as I had thought a game opener would be. In fact you could probably have put both sides of the teams on one side of the bleachers. And then I got looking around and there were no cheerleaders. What????? And then there was no band! Are you kidding me???????? The student section for the home team stood the whole game but not once shouted out a cheer, or yelled in excitement. They looked like statues placed to fill a gap. I was so disappointed with the the school spirit. When I was in high school games were the thing to go to, especially boys basketball. The band was there, the cheerleaders were cheering getting the crowd involved. We wore our school colors and sometimes wore face paint. We were proud of our school and proud to show spirit. I was so sad by the lack of community. What has happened to high school athletics? I almost wanted to go down to the floor and start my own cheer, but then I remembered I'm not in high school anymore!! Instead, I sat through the game in disbelief. I did notice one thing, I knew who the parents were because they were the only ones who cheered when the teams made a bucket. I hope that these teams and communities prove me wrong in the coming season. If and when my kids are involved in sports you better believe there will be school spirit and community support, or else!!!!!! Or else, I'm going to have to put on my spirit fingers, and bring back cake raffles!!!

6 comments:

Jennie and Adam said...

I think you should get a cheerleader skirt for next time! I'll donate some pom-poms!

Mike Laughead said...

I think the difference is that you were in a small town. I think it just happens that way. Bigger towns and cities just don't care about sports as much unless the team is really good.

Anonymous said...

It was Tuesday night for goodness sake! Wait until Friday when all the parents let their kids go out and they don't have to get their homework done for Wednesday. :)

Ki said...

My husband and I recently went to a college hockey game and were invigorated by the cheering students, booming school band, silly mascot, upbeat cheerleaders and passionate fans. It made for the whole experience! I hope schools don't lose that. It was a big part of my growing up and my children's school days as well. Have a wonderful Holiday!
Peace,
Ki

Stephi said...

wow, that does sound really disappointing!! don't worry.. not all the schools are like that!

Anonymous said...

I second the cheer skirt and pom poms... we need to get together more...