Thursday, November 6, 2008

Struggle

As you know from previous posts, every Tuesday is allergy shot day! Gibson and I now go together and get ours. The last two weeks he has been very brave and doesn't flinch nor cry when getting his shots.
This week was a different story. It was a different nurse giving him his shot so maybe that's what it was. Her technique was not as quick as the others before. She hesitated and I think that may be why he freaked b/c the needle was in vision range. I tried reasoning with him for 5 minutes, bribing, etc, and nothing worked. I said, " You're getting these shots because they are going to make you feel better. " G: "I don't want to feel better Mom."
Running out of options and knowing that he had to have these shots done I pinned him in my lap with the help on nurse #2 and nurse #1 gave him shot #1, then I quickly turned him around while he is screaming and squirming and she gave shot #2 in the other arm. Right after that he was done with his fit, like nothing had happened.
Meanwhile Stella just stood next to us with a look of what is going on, and told Gibson that he wasn't being very brave! Which meant they didn't get suckers or stickers this week. I just don't get it. Why for two weeks was he so good and then this last week he freaks out. Friday they both are getting the flu shot and Gibson is getting the Hep. A shot. I really think that I'm going to have to have Q come with me. I don't know if emotionally, I can handle two screaming kids!!!! Maybe they'll give them the V-Mist. I've been hearing great things about that.

The picture is of my arm. This is how I reacted to my shot on the left arm. They say that your reaction, if you have one, should be within the 1st 20 minutes. That is the waiting time after you have a shot. But for some reason I'm a delayed reactor. This started swelling and hurting about two hours after my shot. I knew that it was red and hot and big by the end of the night but didn't do anything about it. I woke up the next morning going about my usual things and it didn't bug me too much at the time.
Juli and Max and Addison came over for a play date and I mentioned to her that my arm was starting to hurt again. I told her that yesterday it was about the size of a tennis ball and she said, " Kasey it still is." I looked into the mirror and sure enough it was maybe even a little bigger. We measured it b/c when ever I have an reaction I need to call and they document it. It was 4 inches long by 2.5 inches wide. The shot contained all the outdoor pollens. Maybe I reacted to them so late in the season because of the high 60's weather we have been having.

I just have to survive through this because they are helping me, I haven't had to use much allergy medication which has been great. I'm not as drowsy.

I feel like I've given you a full detailed report of Allergy shots. You should all be experts now!!!

5 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

OUCH! I am so sorry for you guys! I hope that it works and you start to feel better.

heidi said...

Poor G and poor you!! Ask your ped for the numbing cream!!

Clenece said...

No Fun you guys! You arm looks pretty bad! =(

Anonymous said...

Kasey - my kids got the mist this year and it was so great (except for Emmitt b/c he's too young yet). I hope they were able to get it too! Saves a lot of screaming :)

Candace said...

Do you want to take your kids in separately to get their other shots? You could drop one off here one day and the other on a different day. It wouldn't be a problem.
As far as the allergy shots go, I hope that they get used to the routine of it all.
Is your arm okay? Why do they have to monitor that? Will it continue to happen? Can it get worse or cause a worse reaction?