Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Is It Worth It?

I looked in my closet today and realized that I don't have a lot of clothes but what I do have are nice quality. (for the most part) I've been thinking about clothes today because I got a new Land's End catalog with really cute things in it. However, it's a little pricey. This is my debate and let me know what you think:

Is it better pay a little more for your clothes so you have better quality which in turn means you less of a selection?


Or........ Is it better to buy clothes cheap so you can have more to choose from but less quality material?


I'm going to argue both sides. I feel I'm stuck in the middle.

Side 1:
I think at times it's okay to pay top dollar for certain article of clothes. From my experience, the more I pay for a pair of jeans the longer they last. Example: I bought a pair of LUCKY jeans in high school. 10 years later they are still in my closet. Can I fit into them the same way I did back in the day, definitely not, but I can still wear them. No holes, not much fraying. To me paying $70.00 was worth it. Ten years is a long time to have a pair of jeans! I've also noticed with clothes that I"ve bought at Wal Mart of Meijer tend to shrink after washing. The same thing happens when I buy their kid's brand of clothes. We are a tall family but not out of the ordinary. I've also noticed that the color fades quicker and holes develop faster in cheaper clothes. I've tried to buy cheaper shoes for the kids, but they either give them blisters or break or wear down too fast.

Side 2:
It's good to be frugal and keep within a budget. After all they are just clothes, right? It's what's inside that counts, not our outward appearance? Sometimes I feel like we live in Man's world, where we are more concerned how PEOPLE see us, view, us, treat us, etc. Weren't we taught that their is only one Judge??? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy dressing up, I enjoy looking nice, and having clean clothes. I think you can do this with cheaper clothes, I just have to buy more of them. They fade or shrink too fast. I've heard some Mom's say they only buy cheap clothes for their kids because they grow so fast, they can't justify spending $30 for a pair of shoes for their little ones, etc. They are entitled to their opinion.
Maybe after being a S.A.H.M. for 4 years has made me comfortable and yes, a little frumpy. I'm not sure what my sense of style is these days. At home, most often you'll find me wearing my husband's tee shirts that are faded and a size too big. But they are comfortable and it's okay to get them dirty. Really it is, Q has over 80 tee shirts. He rotates his bins per season. He collects them. Being the youngest of 5 boys he got a lot of hand me downs so as an adult he has a hard time recycling them or throwing them out! He has plenty of clothes to choose from!!!

I just can't make a commitment to go quality of cheap. I'm all for finding a good deal if it's on something that's good quality? Make sense?

I do put restrictions on some things. I will not pay more than $15 for kids pants. No more than $8 for a shirt. 90% of the time I won't buy something unless it's on SALE!! It always makes me feel better about my purchase if I see a big CLEARANCE OR SALE sign on it.

My friend buys her kids clothes a year ahead of time. She finds ridiculous deals. Shirts, pants, dresses, for $5 and under. She is one of the most fantastic frugal shoppers I know. And her kids always look cute. Maybe this is my answer it can be done, I just have to watch for Sales!!

Which way do you roll?? I'm curious. What are your helpful hints on how to find good deals?

4 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

I'm so lame - I buy all, and I mean ALL of my clothes at three places: Target, Kohls and the Outlet Mall by my house (which to its credit does have a Banana Republic Outlet.) Therefore, you probably don't want advice from me! Hee hee.

heidi said...

Hmm...The kids every day stuff I just but whatever, yk? The stuff they're going to wear outside and get dirty and grass stained or painted and glued? Target, WM, w/e. For dressier stuff, or for a few nice general outfits that are NOT allowed at school or outside to play I get stuff like Children's Place, Gap, Gymboree. BUT. I buy them 2nd hand generally. If you can find some gymboholics to buy from? Thosepeople wash all in cold and hang to dry - so I get a basically new piece for 1/2 the price. Gotta love that.

I'm not help for you though. I currently have 4 things hanging in my closet. The rest of the stuff is all crappy stuff I wear around the house. I generally hit Ross, Old Navy or Target for me. If you have a TJ Maxx you can GET some of the name brand stuff for way less. That's always an option.

Also, I resell my kids clothes to finance the next wave. Not the generic stuff, but the name brand stuff. That helps.

heidi said...

Good grief. I said stuff 8 times in that last comment.

And stuff.

Odd Chick said...

i'm older, nearly 50, and I feel I've found a good balance with my clothes. I buy good quality, classic black pants and skirts and dresses, cashmere sweaters. I buy cheaper "new fashion" in jackets, scarves, but never in purses. I try to replace my classic pieces when I find them on sale. When it comes to my grandkids- well, I buy them whatever they want...